Resale shopping can be an adventurous treasure hunt friends or weekend hobby with your significant other. You, too, can have a story to share with your friends when they talk about the great deals they found on e-bay, at the auction or at a garage sale.
Resale may be a new experience for you so here are some tips to being a savvy resale shopper.
- Shop Often – Consignors bring in items every day.
- Shop Wisely – Prices drop everyday.
- Shop Systematically – Resale shops are packed with hundreds of items. Take a quick walk through and then walk slowly around again.
- Shop Intently– Keep a small notebook with color chips, fabric samples and a list of pieces you would love to find. Throw in a tape measure.
- Shop Creatively– Picture that chair in your home refinished with a new color or a fun fabric.
- Shop Techy – Use your phone to take pictures of items you think might work at home. Share your finds with friends and family.
- Shop Smart – Ask about the purchasing policies. Do they take credit cards? Do they allow for returns? Do they have a layaway program?
- Shop Resourcefully– Ask for assistance. The shopkeepers know their inventory and can help you mix and match pieces and they want you to have a fun, productive experience.
- Shop Comparatively – Check prices in other consignment stores or new retail. You’ll be pleased at the bargains.
- Shop Impulsively – Have fun. If you love it, get it. It may not be there if you hesitate. And, if you grow tired of it, you can consign it.
So give it a try. Grab a cup of coffee and wander through resale shops on a Saturday morning or lunch hour. You’ll meet the nicest people, find the prefect treasure and help our world by recycling.